Pre-order your signed paperback copy of Amy’s memoir right here!
Prayed Upon is the story of one woman’s escape from the abuse of a respected, church-going psychiatrist. Amy reaches out to Dr. Dolion for help with depression, but instead of providing healing, he leads her down a path of deception and betrayal. His office, which initially feels like a sanctuary, becomes a psychological prison, one from which Amy will have to fight to free herself.
Prayed Upon, a true story depicts Amy’s journey from victim to thriving child of God. Her brutal honesty provides an inside look at the warped beliefs that early abuse instills; beliefs that make adult victims vulnerable to sexual predators. Her story shines a light on the under-reported sexual abuse of adults and ultimately the way victims can gain freedom from the bondage of shame that abuse leaves behind.
What Readers are Saying about Prayed Upon:
“Amy Nordhues has written a triumph of a book. She takes her reader behind closed doors and makes the experience of being groomed by a predator, painfully real. An important book, beautifully written and profoundly compelling.”
~Analie Shepherd, author of Mending the Shattered Mirror
“An incredible and necessary book. It is deeply ambivalent to read of something so egregious as therapist abuse yet simultaneously feel exhilarated. Amy, with great articulation and skill, recounts the mad, manipulative, and frankly shocking territory she was drawn into by her ‘Man of God’ psychologist. I can’t help but think of Freud and what he’d have to say about his method being employed to exactly execute everything he stood against, namely God being a product of the infantile need for a powerful father figure.
This is an exploration of faith, and part of the book’s power is the breadth of its spectrum: from almost occult, predatory evil towards light, strength, righteousness and meaning.
Amy writes beautifully and informatively. I recommend this book especially for survivors of harmful therapy but also to everyone who has experienced, ‘People were no longer people I trusted.’”
~BC, Admin of Clients Harmed by Therapy Facebook group
“Prayed Upon was a gut-wrenching read from start to finish. It felt like I was holding my breath as her story unfolded. The lies hidden beneath the surface were exposed first. Then, the deeper truths she began to believe and, more importantly, live by as she healed, were also unveiled one at a time. I exhaled deeply as I read the last page.”
~Anna LeBaron, author of The Polygamist’s Daughter: A Memoir
Ready to pre-order your copy now?
This is a pre-sale. Remember books will not ship until mid October 2021.
Looking for other formats?
- E-books: Amazon (upon release)
- Unsigned paperbacks available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other online stores (or request to special order from your local bookstore) upon release
Shipping within the U.S.:
Due to COVID-19, the United States Postal Service is backed up. Note that packages sent via Media Mail (Economy Shipping) may take longer to arrive. Media Mail does come with 3rd-Party Insurance and tracking but does not guarantee delivery time.
If you want a quicker form of shipment, please choose Rush (Priority Mail) Shipping. It includes tracking, delivery between 1-3 days and is insured by USPS.
While international shipping is never cheap, I’ve found a service that’s much less expensive than normal postal service rates. It’s fully insured and takes one to three weeks to arrive.
Please check out these policies before you place an international order:
- Weight: I can only ship using these special rates if the package weighs 4 pounds or less. That means you can only purchase up to three paperback copies at these discounted rates.
- Packaging: To keep the weight and cost down, I use thin poly mailers for international shipments. I use bubble wrap within the package, and I seal it tightly so books don’t flop around! But please be aware, your books will arrive in a soft package, not a box.
- Shipping Costs: Here are the shipping costs, which cover insurance. I’ve included less than $0.50 in the price for packaging.
- Up to 2 pounds (1 paperback book): $13.79 Canada, $17.79 rest of the world
- Up to 3 pounds (2 paperback books): $16.79 Canada, $23.79 rest of the world
- Up to 4 pounds (3 paperback books): $23.79 Canada, $35.79 rest of the world
Would you like to personalize your copy?
If so, in the “Note” section of your order, please indicate who you’d like Amy to inscribe the book to (for example, “Mary” or “Ms. Smith.”) If you don’t indicate a name, Amy will sign the book but not personalize it. Thank you! Or you may request it not be signed at all!
Showing the single result